iOS 5.1.1 for iPhone 4S Jailbreak’d Using Absinthe 2.0
Update: Absinthe 2.0 for iOS 5.1.1 RELEASED.
With just a couple of days left for the official release of Absinthe 2.0, a video of a user jailbreaking his iPhone 4S using the said tool (Absinthe v2) has appeared on Youtube. The new tool for jailbreaking iOS 5.1.1 does not requiring USB tethering. The tool also does not require the user to enter into DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode.
The video of the untethered jailbreak appeared on Youtube 2 days ago, and though it is in bad quality & was put together rather hastily, it is good enough to watch. The video is embedded below, and shows the step by step procedure of doing untethered jailbreak on iPhone 4S using Absinthe 2.0.
Release notes for the jailbreak mention support for iPhone 4/4S, iPad, iPad 2 (Wi-Fi only), iPad 3 (Wi-Fi/CDMA) & iPod touch 3G/4G. The following models are likely to receive be supported by Absinthe 2.0 and are currently being worked on: iPhone 3GS, iPad 2 (GSM/CDMA/Wi-Fi R2), iPad 3 Global, Apple TV 2nd Gen.
The Youtube video below mentions that this jailbreak will not include support for Apple TV 3rd Gen, as they have not have any hole yet which can be exploited to enable jailbreak.
The jailbreak will be available for download to users in a couple of days, as commented by fly2iphone on his video, “It will be ready in 2 days for all you.” Jailbreaking allows users to run apps which are not authorized by Apple, and easily change preferences, add customizations and much more. Basically, jailbreak is to iOS what root is to Android.
The complete release notes for Absinthe 2.0 are below.
* All info below is tentative and subject to last minute refinements
* @pod2g’s 5.1.1 jailbreak+untether is working out great. All devices are covered except for AppleTV3,1, which currently has no path for jailbreaking.
- the initial 5.1.1 plan used a kernel exploit from @westbaer which unfortunately precluded use in iPod3,1 and iPhone2,1
- @planetbeing stepped up and provided a kernel exploit that covers both of those. Those two JBers are the bomb!
* The 5.1.1 A5 JB is very similar to the A5 5.0.1 JB. @pimskeks has done a tremendous job supporting both 5.0.1 and 5.1.1 in absinthe
* Similar to 5.0.1, there will also be a 5.1.1 CLI “cinject” binary and redsn0w version of the 5.1.1 JB+untether. Absinthe, cinject, and redsn0w will all provide the same JB in different fashions.
- timing is indeterminate. Plans are for this week, but a number of factors can influence that.
* For those wishing to donate, we’ve set up a new 5.1.1 paypal URL: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=4U6DQGJ2NRVUN
* Please don’t pirate AppStore apps (seriously, please do not).
Once again, expected release date for Absinthe 2.0 is 24th May.